Thursday, March 24, 2011

Lent 11: It Gets Better, part 3

I expect to move on to the myriad other concerns of the church soon, but before I stop this business about the church's relationship to gay kids, I did want to link to an excellent blog post from Lutherans Concerned/North America that better explains the ELCA's situation with regard to LGBT folk than any other single resource I've found. It highlights and corrects some misunderstandings of the ELCA's actions in 2009, and clarifies where the church is and is not. The point is a gracious welcome of all people, including gay folks, and that for such a welcome to be real it must be public. I'll save my own stories of the need for public, visible support for another day. For now, let it be enough to know that resources exist for churches looking to stand publicly on the side of the gay teens whose plight launched the It Gets Better project.

Also, has anyone yet bought Lutheran Church of the Savior a copy of this book?

No comments:

Post a Comment