Sunday, March 25, 2012

2012 Lent 13: On Poetry and Faith

I know, I know, I've shared a paucity of blog posts this Lent, at least compared to my goal. Please trust me that I'm working on a lot of great stuff, both blog-specific and blog-worthy (like the Free Store Grand Opening today!).

For now, check out this lovely reflection on poetry and faith written by my dear friend and Official Poet of Unexpected and Mysterious* Dianne Bilyak. One of Dianne's ongoing projects in recent years has been a series of interviews with poets, and she makes fine use of that material here. Dianne has a beautiful way of talking about the messy confusion of our lives in this flawed world.


By resisting the urge to make poetry or faith transparent or uncomplicated, we endeavor to expand and navigate our consciousness in the fragile balance between these secular and sacred worlds.
What a gorgeous way to describe our struggle to make sense of this messed-up world.

Dianne's embrace of ambiguity as both a theological and everyday reality makes her my soul sister. That, and the [adjective deleted- ed.] sense of humor we both share from our respective (as opposed to respectful?) Catholic upbringings, of course. I have a copy of her recent collection of poetry, if you want to hear more of her stuff, though you could probably just buy your own to support an independent artist.




* Just because I made that up right now does not make it any less true. I should commission her to write something for this blog, now that I think about it. I can probably afford about 3 words. Then I should have my other poet friends challenge her title. maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh...

1 comment:

  1. I'm not Dianne Bilyak, but I want to say that she sounds awesome! (maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh). Thanks soul-brother.

    ReplyDelete